Re: [ietf-dkim] SSP - should we drop the cryptic o=. syntax for something a little more readable?

2006-02-17 07:44:40
Eric Allman wrote:
--On February 17, 2006 10:02:37 AM +0000 Stephen Farrell <stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie> wrote:

+2

+3.  I always have to look the damned things up.

Oh goody, I get to be a contrarian!

-1

For two reasons:

1) With my developers hat on, I couldn't really care the least:
   if you have to look them up, you probably need to look up the
   other single character tags too. This is just a matter of being
   familiar with the spec, and h, z, b, m etc are all equally
   opaque IMO.

2) I'm guessing that we will utterly fail to have a single word that
   describes the rich semeantics of the policy attached to whatever
   symbol we choose. Witness this latest brouhaha with "exclusive"
   which is not even part of the current draft. An abstract symbol
   which has no baggage of its own and is, in fact, just a pointer
   to the normative text seems like a better way to avoid
   misinterpretation.

                Mike
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to http://dkim.org/ietf-list-rules.html