Re: [ietf-dkim] agenda item on upgrading hash algorithms?

2006-02-23 14:48:42

On Feb 23, 2006, at 12:32 PM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

I think that we are all aware that IP owners have a duty to their shareholders to promote the value of their IP in the best possible light.

We do not need point compression for our purposes. Nor is efficiency a critical issue. The only crucial criteria is a bit length of 1024 bits or less.

The issue raise regarding IPR was not related to point compression. In addition to defending against known attacks, Certicom IPR claims also relate to basic algorithm improvements which makes clean-room development difficult. Is there elliptic-curve code within the public domain not encumbered, which can be safely used in the near future? If ECC code is not ready now, when will it be? Can someone predict whether ECC, with its small keys sizes, will not become vulnerable as has SHA-1? There is less private key information to leak.

Although there are text-based conventions for entering binary RRs into DNS, this discussion was considering whether space was available within the TXT RR to accommodate upgrade declarations, or whether a binary structure for DKIM key RR should be considered. An ability to accommodate 2048 bit keys does not preclude use of ECC, when that proves feasible and desirable. However, not having an ability to accommodate 2048 bits may create much greater disruption. Why paint DKIM into a corner? Surely a binary RR is easier than developing cryptography.

-Doug