Re: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: Why is s= REQUIRED?

2006-03-16 08:47:36
On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 09:54:49AM +0000, Stephen Farrell allegedly wrote:

I don't personally see why s= is REQUIRED and has no default. Perhaps
an explanation in section 3.5 would be good? Otherwise why not define
a default selector?

Technically no reason. But it may instill the assumption that most
domains will only ever generate and used one key, since a sensible
(and recommended) key roll-over will require a selector name.

Having said that, I'm not sure that assumption is invalid for the
bazillion domain that send a minute amount of email, such as most
vanity/personal domains.

There is a secondary, albeit minor effect with having a default
Selector. And that's discovery. Generally, no one can guess a valid
Selector unless they receive mail from a domain. If a default is
allowed, and deployment becomes widespread, an unrelated third party
has a good chance of guessing your Selector by testing for the
default.

I'm not sure I see a problem with that as easy discovery is under
control of the domain owner, so I'm merely observing the ability to
observe.

Mark.