Re: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: Why is s= REQUIRED?

2006-03-16 11:24:19
At 9:54 AM +0000 3/16/06, Stephen Farrell wrote:
I don't personally see why s= is REQUIRED and has no default. Perhaps
an explanation in section 3.5 would be good? Otherwise why not define
a default selector?

Semantically, requiring a selector doesn't make much sense. From an interop standpoint, however, it does help. We are telling people that the domain name to look up begins with a selector. If we make that optional, we have to add more text about what the domain name will look like without a selector, and have examples of both. It may seem a bit lazy, but requiring a selector means fewer options for the protocol.