Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: Straw poll on x=

2006-04-11 22:18:47

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Delany" <MarkD+dkim(_at_)yahoo-inc(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 11:45 PM
Subject: [ietf-dkim] Re: Straw poll on x=

Remove x=

The tagging mechanism makes it trivial to add new tags. If at some
point in the future, x= is given a precise and purposeful rationale,
that can easily be done as an extension to the base.

IMO, there is a precise and purposeful rationale.   I  can come up with
atleast a dozen reasons or more why a signer may want to utilize an
expiration concept.

But there all for under a single rationale:

The signer wants the verifier to classify the message as "invalid" at this
time and date.    Its should not be the verifier's concern why the signer
wants expire a signing.  It might not even apply to all outgoing mail.  It
might just be set for certain kinds of high-value transactions.   The
possibilities are end-less.

Also consider, per spec, If the signer doesn't want to define one, he
doesn't have to.  This is the default condition.

However, I agree what isn't precise is the mechanics.   What isn't resolved
is the design question:

      a) It is a transaction expiration concept, or
      b) Message Validity expiration concept?

And this touches base with a more general implementation conflict regarding
dynamic transport verification mode vs. post transport delay verification
mode.

This is fixable with the proposed change to the x= mechanics.

---
Hector