Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: dkim-base-01 nits and semi-nits

2006-05-02 12:39:35

On May 2, 2006, at 11:30 AM, Jim Fenton wrote:

I don't think the wording "consider this signature invalid" requires the verifier to consider a signature failure as "unsigned".

The state of being "unsigned" implies the message does not contain a verifiable signature. Signature verification may fail when the algorithm is unknown. Imposing a scheme where an invalid signature affects the validity of other signatures may prohibit a means to transition to newer algorithms.

Yes, as I said in http://article.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.dkim/1751, I think one should consider failed signatures as if they aren't there, but I'm not sure that's something to include in the -base specification.

Some limit should bound the signature verification process, either by a permitted number of signatures or a minimum number of verification operations. A basic goal of ensuring compatibility seems to require that some signature/verification limit be established.

-Doug