Re: [ietf-dkim] Use of DKIM signatures by mailing lists

2006-06-14 15:16:08

On Jun 14, 2006, at 3:02 PM, John Levine wrote:

Mailing-list is a very broad term. Some of this is applicable to
general mailing lists, but it seems that most of it was written
with "discussion lists" in mind. Defining "mailing list" to mean
the same thing as "discussion list" for this document might
increase confusion rather than reduce it.

I think that Jim and I both intended this discussion to cover discussion lists, so how about pretending that it says discussion list wherever it
says mailing list?

For broadcast lists, I don't think there are any particular DKIM problems since the content either comes from the sender or the sender is an agent
of the author.

Yup. I'm more arguing against any definition of mailing list in the
document, really, especially one that contradicts one of the more
widely used usages. If you're in the intended audience then you'll
know it when you see it and any definition is not going to be useful
to you.

Cheers,
  Steve