Re: [ietf-dkim] section 5 rewrite?

2006-07-03 18:13:09
Section 5 generally, 1st one is 5.1, 2nd para. This section seems
to be all, or almost all, advisory, in which case, it shouldn't use
MAY, SHOULD etc. Another example is in 5.3 where it says something
that an MUA "SHOULD" do. Suggest lower-casing all the MAY etc.
Parts of 5.4 where it says that "From:" MUST be signed etc. is an
exception and but would be stated earlier, maybe in around the "h="
description.

So, is a bit of re-writing of section 5 needed?

It depends on how extensive the changes are that you are suggesting. The word "re-write" implies that we should through out the current section and start over, to which I disagree. I'm willing to lower-case some of the terms though and modify individual sentences and paragraphs.

I agree with 5.1, para 2, but I disagree with 5.3 --- the point of that is that something somehow SHOULD convert the message to 7-bit MIME before presentation to the DKIM algorithm in order to maximize interoperability. The converting agent might be an MUA, it might be an MSA, it might even be the MTA, but in any case that conversion SHOULD be done.

eric