Re: [ietf-dkim] editorials and nits

2006-07-04 08:10:19

Eric Rescorla wrote:

I don't understand the purpose of the fixed exponent of F4. It's
not needed for interoperability because a PKCS#1 RSAPublicKey
(which is what this document implies, though does not say
is stored in the DNS) structure contains the exponent.

My fault I think. In an earlier thread we decided that playing with
the public exponent value could use too much space in the TXT record
and that we'd hardcode the dkim's "rsa" alg id to keys using 65537.
(I've no problem with us revisiting that if its appropriate.) I then
had the impression that key records contained "p=base64(modulus)" but
it looks like you're right and they don't.

But anyway, we do need to tighten up the spec. on the public key
format a bit it seems (along the lines of your mail which I also guess
is what's currently implemented).

S.