Re: [ietf-dkim] The URL to my paper describing the DKIM policyoptions

2006-07-25 19:17:50

On Jul 25, 2006, at 5:33 PM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

The intent was to point to a general label where policy references are found. Philip suggested this should point to an HTTP server. HTTP is needed to support the size of an all encompassing policy response.

No I did not make that suggestion.

What I did say is that we should not look to put more that the bare essentials into the DNS system, that is the data that a client is going to use to make a choice between services and to configure the security context to connect to a service. If there is a need to go beyond that we can link out to HTTP but that is not necessary for DKIM

My apologies. I see that you have suggested resource records located at the underscore label will use protocol specific policy RR types to avoid collision. Currently, this process requires an attempt to directly obtain desired policy RR types at the underscore label. If that fails, a transaction then obtains the prefix-wildcard RR record. The content of the prefix-wildcard RR then locates the desired policy RR type for one more transaction.

Of course, a script or complaint DNS server generates the added wildcard records, but this may create issues related to revealing nodes within a domain. Assuming this disclosure is not a problem, automating this prefix-wildcard RR record would ideally always return the desired policy RR on the first transaction "as if" _policy.<subdomain.domain> contained the policy RRset. Specialized handling for the prefix-wildcard RR in this case would conflict with PTR definitions, however. As this scheme expects new and protocol specific RR types, defining an RR to support the prefix-wildcard seems appropriate as well.

Perhaps it could be defined as:

_policy.<domain> PWCARD <list-of-RR-types> <location-of-RR-types> ;no need for the ** label as this would be keyed off of the PWCARD type.

The list of policy RR types might help handle policy RRset overflow conditions. The list allows individual queries of the most appropriate policy type without iterative queries to discover what is available. This assumes policy structures may evolve, and that more than one policy for a protocol might be published. If this approach does become popular, it may not be possible to obtain the entire RRset.

-Doug