Re: [ietf-dkim] Possible Signing Practices non-technical terminology

2006-07-31 13:09:15

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Dave Crocker wrote:

Author:
    Creates message content

 Mailing-List: Creates message content, based on existing messages

I have a problem with above line. In my view mail list can not be
considered an author of the message.

Recipient: End-user who may read the content

Not necessarily an end-user but this is less of an issue.

Operator:
    Transfers messages

Most people call it Mail Transfer Agent or just agent although I suppose
you're talking about who controls that agent.

 Author's
      Operator: Controls submission

 Recipient's Operator:
      Controls delivery

Filter:
    Makes contingent handling choices, based on mechanical assessments on a
message and

  Operator's Filter:
       A handling filter employed by an operator.

  Recipient's Filter:
       A handling filter operating in the Recipient's MUA.

Domain:
    Identity cited in a signing practices record

No. Domain is network-based group of users used as a common routing element on the network.

The identity is an email. Domain maybe used to identify common
practice for all its user but may just be a routing element used when identifying specific user identity policy.

  Author's Domain:
       Identity of the domain in the rfc2822.From field

  Operator's Domain:
       Identity in the rfc2822.Sender field or a Received field.

This one is problematic too. While I don't disagree, I think we
need to specify separate Email Origin perator which is the
one that has to do with rfc2822.Sender field. An intermediate
email MTA operator it may add hostname into Received line but
that is not even a domain but a specific host and there is
no requirement for that to happen.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks