Re: [ietf-dkim] Signalling DKIM support before DATA

2006-08-08 12:57:11
On Tuesday 08 August 2006 15:25, J.D. Falk wrote:
On 2006-08-08 11:43, Scott Kitterman wrote:
Sounds like false hope to me; as a big receiver, I can't imagine that
I'd ever want to blindly trust assertions made by an unknown sender.

As both you and John L point out, this is a big issue.  That's why I was
thinking about it being something in DNS related to the policy record so
that it would be at least slightly harder to lie about it.  It's also why
I started with IF...  I recognized that if it can be trivially spoofed,
then there's no reason to do it.

We can accomplish that much without any changes to SMTP:

- SMTP conversation happens as per usual
- receiver looks up MAIL FROM domain, checks SSP
- receiver decides whether to accept the message and check the
signature, or reject based on non-DKIM-related criteria

Or am I missing something?

That's the lines I'd been thinking along.

Scott K