[ietf-dkim] A question about DKIM and Phishing

2006-08-11 06:19:04
Hi,

I'm doing some research for a paper on SPF, DKIM and other sender authentication measurements.

I'm a bit puzzled about a fact on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DomainKeys, and would appriceate if someone could comment this:

"With DomainKeys, the absence of a verifiable digital signature header in an E-mail purporting to be from a domain which has a DomainKeys DNS record may indicate that that E-mail is a forgery. Thus, E-mails may be divided into three classes:

   * valid DomainKey signature: authentic
   * invalid or missing DomainKey signature for a domain with the DNS
     record: usually forged
   * no DNS record or header: unknown status"

As I have understood it, you can not really find the DomainKey-DNS-record unless you know the selector, which you do not really unless you have a domainKey signature. Is this correct or have I misinterpreted the drafts?

Best Regards,

Stefan Görling