RE: [ietf-dkim] Bayesian filters are the pits

2006-08-23 07:51:51
I think that I am working towards a rather broader critique of the way that
SpamBayes &ct. are applied.

Naïve Bayesian learning schemes are intrinsically vulnerable to
counter-programming. They work on a small scale only because there is not a
sufficient value to counter-programming.

I am reminded of the chess match between Kasparov and Deep Blue. One of the
Professors at MIT who works on computer chess told me that they could have
taught Kasparov how to outwit the machine by exploiting weaknesses in the
computer strategy.

In general any naïve learning approach can be intentionally taught to identify
a certain characteristic as a strong indicator of spam by an attacker. Once the
attacker can control the learning system state there is no end to the tricks
that can be played.

The common theme at the MIT conference is that the way you test an anti-spam
measure is against a static test corpus. What is left unmeasured is the
resistance to counter-programming.

I believe that what opponents of the DKIM approach describe as a vulnerability
of DKIM is in fact an intrinsic weakness of the spam filtering techniques
described and that the DKIM exploit is merely one example of a much wider class
of attacks against those schemes.

This objection is not coming from large scale anti-spam filtering operations,
it is coming from people who run spam assasin on their personal email file and
take a look at the rules their system is building.