Re: [ietf-dkim] Scalability concerns with Designated Signing Domains

2006-08-26 03:49:10

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Farrell" <stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie>
To: "Jim Fenton" <fenton(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>

Yep. 120 names sounds horrible. But then so would be 120 delegatees
of whatever flavour probably.

But I at least have no clue as to how many domains would have so
many delegatees, versus how many would not easily be able to use
NS delegation or key based delegation. And I see different opinions
on the list. That's why I find it hard to see how to we can decide
this well. (Though we will decide it well of course.)

+1.

I think anyone comtemplating DKIM (at this large magnitude of
a large enterprise with over 120 outsource mail distributors) will be more
than capable to decide how they will decide to use DKIM to fit their
operations.

I can also imagine someone (Alex) at the large enterprise "DKIM
Consideration" meeting asking:

    "Why are we doing this (considering DKIM) in the first place?"

I can also imagine, someone (Sally) replying:

    "Well, we just got this brochure from one of our outsource
     mail providers offering this new DKIM Signing Service. They
     claim it will help protect our mail, help stop spoofing and phishing
     and increase the acceptability rate by receivers and users.
     Maybe this will work for a few of our domains."

And Alex follows up:

    "But not all of our domains?  Are you suggesting that if this
     works, we can eliminate some of the providers and just go with
     this new DKIM ready provider?"

And Sally responds as she passes the brochure to Alex:

    "Maybe or just maybe get rid of 80% of them. Lunch Anyone?"

And Alex says after looking at the brochure:

    "Yeah sure, but it says here that we would have to designate
     them as the 3rd party signer for our domain mail. What about
     the others who don't sign?"

Then Sally responds:

    "I saw that. That is why we might want to create a new special
     domain for this 3rd party DKIM provider. But then again, this
     all optional.  We don't have to subscribe to there new signing
     service. It ain't free.  So we have to think about that too."

And then another software guy at the meeting (Tom) suggest:

    "Well, maybe we can just sign the mail outselves and not
     pay or allow anyone else to sign.  Can we do that?"

Sally responds:

    "Good question. Take this brochure Tom and call their
     Technical Sales rep and also research the IETF specifications
     and see if there are any  open source code available or 3rd
     party APIs.  Lets go to Lunch!"

Tom Grumbles to himself:

    "Oh man!! More WORK!! I don't get paid enough!"

So who knows how administrators and engineers or large companies will decide
how their 1 or 2 or thousands of domains will be used with DKIM or not or
just partially.