Re: [ietf-dkim] Delegation semantics

2006-08-29 16:26:59
On 2006-08-29 15:05, John Levine wrote:

The point I was trying to make here is that if I delegate any part of
my DKIM key record space to your system you now have the ability to
produce email messages that authenticate as coming from me.

Right.  That's what an ESP does, send mail on behalf of its clients.
ESPs already sign mail with DK signatures in the customer's domain,
using delegated subdomains like the one I showed in my last message.
I can dig up some examples if people don't believe it.

At that point it's a contractual issue, not a standards issue. They'll jump through whatever technical or political hurdles are necessary to fulfill that contract.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but an argument that argues that ESPs
do not exist doesn't strike me as very persuasive.

Especially given that ESPs appear (in general) more receptive to adopting DKIM ASAP than any other category of sender.

--
J.D. Falk, Anti-Spam Product Manager
Yahoo! Communications Platform Team