Re: [ietf-dkim] Delegated signatures in real life

2006-08-29 17:24:08

On Aug 29, 2006, at 4:41 PM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

Orbitz might not care about the security issues raised by allowing doubleclick to sign messages on behalf of their CEO and other executives. Many others will.

Why is that a security issue?

As I understand it, email sent by ceo(_at_)orbitz(_dot_)com where he
wants to assert that he is the author will use S/MIME or similar.

Domainkeys and friends specify who has taken responsibility for
an email, not the identity of the author. Anyone prepared to take
responsibility either directly or indirectly (by sharing their private
key or delegating control over some subset of their key publication)
can take do that.

So... the idea that DomainKeys would be used to "sign" email, in
an S/MIME or PGP sort of sense, on behalf of an individual seems
somewhere between meaningless and nonsensical.

What am I missing here?

Cheers,
  Steve

This is a security area spec, least privilege must apply wherever possible.