Re: Fwd: Re: [ietf-dkim] Introducing myself

2006-12-09 13:23:55
offlist.

Charles Lindsey wrote:
DKIM will have no effect on the present spam/phishing/malware scene unless it is widely adopted. It will not be widely adopted unless it is seen to be robust. In particular, it will not be adopted in countries (esp those in Asia) where the character sets used are totally unlike ASCII if it can only be made to work by forcing everything to be sent as 7bit. They just cannot survive in an environment where textual messages 'on the wire' cannot easily be read in that form. They will just resort to "send 8bits anyway" which is already happening, even with headers, to a large extent, because 99.9% of the time it actually works like that without problem.

That is why the parallel EAI effort has been mentined so often in these discussions, because it is pulling in exactly the opposite direction to this WG, and it is the Chinese and the Japanese who are pulling the hardest.

From what I have seen, doing a basic web search on your history, you've been around and done a lot.

That said, I'm curious about the basis for your firm certitude about what the adoption barriers/requirements are for Internet mechanisms.

Just to be clear: No one disputes the need for supporting a full range of characters. But no one with experience also denies that it is a difficult problem.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking