Re: [ietf-dkim] Base issue: multiple linked signatures

2006-12-26 11:53:21
At 11:21 AM -0500 12/26/06, DKIM Chair wrote:
In discussions with the IESG to sort through their "discuss" comments, I had a talk with Lisa Dusseault, and she had one point that I want to bring back to the mailing list: I don't think we considered, in our discussions of multiple signatures, multiple *linked* signatures, which could work TOGETHER to convey information, and the protocol doesn't allow that sort of thing. The way dkim-base is set up, I don't think this could easily be added as an extension, and it'd be a significant change at this point. Here's the concept: * Signer puts on two signatures (maybe as two header records, maybe as one that contains two sigs). * One of the signatures has minimal scope, maybe signing only "from:", with l=0. * The other signature covers as much of the message as possible... most headers, all the boby. * The two signatures work together. If one verifies and the other doesn't, the verifier can consider what was changed in the message, and possibly use that information to deal with mailing list modifications or whatnot.

I also discussed this with Lisa, and came to a very different conclusion.

What is being proposed above is that an additional signature be generated and validated for every "important" header. That is a huge waste of energy, and it will cause massive unnecessary resource usage, particularly for recipients who don't care why a signature might not have validated.

If the concern is "accidental" breakage, Michael's point is exactly right: