Re: [ietf-dkim] Base issue: multiple linked signatures

2006-12-30 05:46:31
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 16:36:39 -0000, Michael Thomas <mike(_at_)mtcc(_dot_)com>
wrote:

DKIM Chair wrote:

One way this might be used is to have one signature that covers the subject header and one that doesn't, to allow the verifier to detect a subject change and decide whether it's OK. As the spec is now, the verifier would just find the one signature (that doesn't cover the subject) that works, and use that, not considering the other.

ISTM that this sort of requirement can only arise where the original signer has some expectation that some header WILL get altered during transit, and wants to cover both possibilities.

One can already do this by copying the relevant headers into the signature using z=. I already do this and it works just fine for mailing lists. Since it involves a whole boat load of heuristics, I don't think it really belongs in the base spec which should, IMO, just define the mechanics of the protocol.

And that was my reaction when I read this suggestion. Anything that can be done with two signatures can probably be done as well with imaginative use of 'z='.

The only snag is that the draft says, of the 'z=':

Verifiers MUST NOT use the header field names or copied values for chacking signatures in any way. ...

Whyever not? If the verifier can get soe useful infornmation out of the 'z=' (such as by restoring the 'z=' version of the header and seeing whether that mends the broken signature, then why forbid it? Just what the verifier might deduce from that situation I am not sure, but that is the verifier's problem, not ours.

Here is another example where the 'z=' might actually be useful.

Under EAI, there is a header
   Header-Type: UTF8
During transit, the headers may get downgraded, thus breaking all sorts of signatures. But, at the same time, that header gets changed to
   Header-Type: downgraded
So if the original signature recorded 'z=Header-Type: UTF8' (OK, that SP should have been dkim-quoted, but you know what I mean) then the verifier at least knows what has happened and do somethig intelligent (even if only to say, "sorry, this message has been UTF8 downgraded - you will have to resolves your suspicions yourself" - or else it might try to upgrade the message and then try the signature again). All seemingly reasonable, except that dkim-base syas it MUST NOT do such sensible things. Why not?

Tel: +44 161 436 6131     Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.