RE: [ietf-dkim] Base issue: multiple linked signatures

2006-12-27 10:18:43
      Verifiers MUST NOT use the header field names or copied values
      for checking the signature in any way.  Copied header field
      values are for diagnostic use only.

Did we really put this in base? Yes we did.

Its not enforceable as it is at the option of the receiver and so cannot be a MUST NOT, it could be a SHOULD NOT.

Seems to me this is a semantic niggle. People can implement whatever variant form of whatever spec they want to, but if they want to interoperate and implement the signature validation that DKIM specifies, that have to use the current values of the headers.

I suppose that note could be reworded, e.g.

        Informative note: Signature verification uses the
        headers contained in the message.  Copied header field
        values are intended for diagnostic use only.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://johnlevine.com, Mayor