Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: canonicalized null body and dkim

2007-01-10 13:47:25
Eric Allman wrote:

I've changed the text to read "If there is no body or no trailing CRLF on the message body, a CRLF is added" in order to avoid any confusion.

Eric, this is good. I will comment that the only confusion is there is an indirect implication that the final two bytes of the FEED must have a <CRLF>.

Which is not true, right?

Because a) A signer can canonicalized the message, including adding a <CRLF> if necessary, that yields size X, but B) the signer decides to hash only L=N bytes where N < X bytes.

That was the only "scratch head" thought I had about all this - The reason to add a <CRLF> if a signer was not going to hash the entire body.

So I guess, if anything, a statement, sentence or comment that states "the need to add a <CRLF> is only necessary if the entire body is going to be hashed."

---
HLS