RE: 1368 straw-poll : (was: Re: [ietf-dkim] Deployment Non-Scenario 7:Cryptographic Upgrade and Downgrade Attacks)

2007-02-26 09:02:15
It seems to me that John is arguing that policy is a hopeless plan altogether.
That might even be true in the short term. For SSP to be successful it will
have to lead to a rapid decline in the type of remailer practices that cause
the problems he is citing.

I think that is feasible, John appears to not believe this is the case, that is
a reasonable difference of opinion but as far as the group is concerned we have
already decided to suspend out disbelief and do policy.

We have to be very careful here. If we allow arguments of this form we will
guarantee defeat because it applies to every possible SSP variant. In effect we
end up designing on the premise that we will inevitably fail so no
modifications to SSP are worthwhile.

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Stephen
Farrell
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 6:30 AM
To: DKIM
Subject: 1368 straw-poll : (was: Re: [ietf-dkim] Deployment
Non-Scenario 7:Cryptographic Upgrade and Downgrade Attacks)

It seems to me that the exchange between John and Charles
below captures the crux of the issue.

Option 1: If we agree with Charles (& Phill I guess) that
looking up SSP and then passing on the only-signed-with-B
message will be common practice then there seems to be a
sufficient reason to include the "I sign all with A"
statement or equivalent in SSP.

Option 2: If OTOH, we agree with John, that further
processing (after sig check & SSP lookup) SHOULD or MUST
treat the only-signed-with-B message as unsigned, with no
code branching on the presence of the putative B-sig, then
the additional SSP expressiveness is useless.

I don't see a rough consensus either way, though I would
guess I've seen a little more support for option 1 in the
last few days than for option 2.

Just to help me out, could you say which option you prefer?
Thanks,
Stephen.

PS: If you prefer some other option or would like to quibble
with my text above, feel free, but maybe change the subject.

Charles Lindsey wrote:
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 22:09:06 -0000, John Levine