Re: [ietf-dkim] Issue 1365: drop "never send mail"?

2007-02-28 09:27:40
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 07:51:17 +0000 Graham Murray
<graham(_at_)gmurray(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk>
wrote:
Jon Callas <jon(_at_)callas(_dot_)org> writes:

You can say that you never send mail from a domain with SPF.

SPF operates on the RFC2181 envelope, so with SPF you can state that a
domain will never legitimately appear in the SMTP MAIL FROM: (or
EHLO). It offers no mechanism to say that the domain will not be used
in any RFC2822 From:, Sender:, Resent-From: etc.

Good point.  I think the equivalent SenderID PRA scope never sends mail
record is more relevant here.

As I've said before, I think this type of SPF/SenderID record avoids most
of the risks associated with these protocols that some find concerning and
I think it would be useful to standardize these record types as string
literals separate from the more complex semantics of the protocols in which
they are currently defined.

I may do it as an individual submission if I get the time.

Scott K