Re: [ietf-dkim] Fluffy DKIM questions

2007-05-15 13:17:40
I can answer some of these, but not all.

--On May 15, 2007 12:08:09 PM -0700 Steve Atkins <steve(_at_)blighty(_dot_)com> wrote:
1. Does anyone have an overview of the benefits and
     drawbacks to DK and DKIM in general?

I think there's been several short descriptions, although I don't think I've seen a definitive analysis. I believe the intro to the DK document includes a summary, but I haven't actually read it in a year or so.

2. How about the differences between DK and DKIM?

I've got that on my to-do list, but I'm not going to be able to get to it before next week.

3. Is a valid DK signature a valid DKIM signature?

No.

3b. If the general answer to that is "no", are some subsets
     of DK signatures also valid DKIM signatures?

No.  Among other things, they use different signature headers.

4. What are the Intellectual Property implications of
     deploying DKIM? (The Yahoo DK license agreement
     has scared off a number of people from implementing
     or using it).

So far as I know, everything should be completely open for use. I think that the Yahoo! claims may apply to DKIM as well, but so far as I know they have completely addressed those issues. Their most recent IPR disclosure is at <https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_detail_show.cgi?ipr_id=716>. The interesting bit reads:

       Yahoo! licenses its Necessary Patent Claims contained in the
       patent(s) and patent application(s) disclosed above under
       either of two separate license agreements, one of which is
       the DomainKeys Patent License Agreement (v1.2), and the other
       is the GNU General Public License v2.0 (and no other version).

I'm not sure what it means to apply the GPL to a patent license, but there it is.

eric