Re: [ietf-dkim] DNS wildcarding behavior scenarios

2007-06-08 19:05:12
Steve Atkins wrote:

Wildcards are something of a hack, and I understand
there are significant incompatibilities in wildcard handling of
some records between different authoritative servers. I
think we'd be fine with simple usage, but anything subtle
should not[2] be suggested by anyone who isn't intimately
familiar with the operational issues with the various authoritative
servers out there.

hmmmmmm, interesting comment.

I think you got the wrong perception of me. Nonetheless, from the start, I said I wasn't a "DNS administrator," but I am an seasoned systems engineer and manager and when I don't see the "DNS administrators" offering a solution themselves, then I will attempt to provide input myself.

I think the "suggestions" I provided is the best so far.

First you said it doesn't work "at all."  You were proven wrong.

Client resolving the gTLD/ccTLD cut off for the query question would be the ideal solution for these requirements.

You say it is impossible.

Well, you haven't convince me that it is impossible.

I also said I will be studying the wildcard behavior of servers, starting with Bind, by digging straight into the source.

Now you are basically implying we are beating on a dead horse because the authoritative servers may not behave the same in this regard.

Well, if all this is true, we should stop wasting time and go straight to a Wildcard/Masking definition concept at the TXT data itself, similar to a SPF commands.

Do you have a suggestion for a TXT record format that offers subdomain policy masking?

BTW, I wouldn't call it a hack if popular server like BIND has wildcard masking logic built-in all over its lookup code. It is simple though:

file:  bin\named\ns_init.c:

int
ns_wildcard(const char *name) {
    if (*name != '*')
        return (0);
    return (*++name == '\0');
}

ns_wildcard() is used quite extensively,  I would not call that a hack.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com