Re: [ietf-dkim] DNS wildcarding behavior scenarios

2007-06-09 07:24:28
Steve Atkins wrote:

Yes. Wildcards don't actually exist in DNS. The behavior
being discussed here is an implementation detail of one
(commonly used) authoritative server[1], though other
servers often have similar functionality, often mostly
compatible.

Steve,

Please excuse any perceived ignorance. Maybe I am being to technical here, and I am not a DNS administrator but STD 13, has specific and clear information about wildcards:

  4.3.3. Wildcards

  In the previous algorithm, special treatment was given to RRs
  with owner names starting with the label "*".  Such RRs are
  called wildcards.  Wildcard RRs can be thought of as instructions
  for synthesizing RRs. When the appropriate conditions are met,
  the name server creates RRs with an owner name equal to the query
  name and contents taken from the wildcard RRs.

So I am not sure what it meant by "Wildcards don't actually exist in DNS."

It seems you are saying since one server had offered it, and other followed, that it been "kludged" in and now a common behavior but its not actually part of the specification, therefore unreliable?

Seems pretty clear in STD 13.

What am I missing here?

--
Sincerely