Re: [ietf-dkim] Responsibility vs. Validity

2007-11-27 12:30:03
Dave Crocker wrote:
Folks,

This note is about an old topic that seems to remain unresolved. I'm posting it to see where the working group is on the matter:

Rather, DKIM's task is to allow an organization to say this it has some responsibility for the message; that is, come to them if there is a problem.

I always had trouble with this "responsibility declaration." Something was never right about it especially with the "ignore if failure" semantic, with no really strong agreement on Policy. I can't see how one would want to take responsibility when there is hardly any protection for abuse. I don't want people "coming to us" when they see abuse that had nothing to do with us. In fact, I will go on the record to suggest this can open new legal issues, such as malpractice claims. I need to be very careful about what I am going to tell people about what DKIM offers and the last thing I want to tell them is we are responsible for issues related to it, or that they will responsible for all mail signed with DKIM.

In looking at the range of features that have been added to SSP, I keep thinking that this distinction is not clear. It seems to me that there is tendency to want to build "the content is valid" mechanisms into SSP.

Well, I think it is part of it, but not as important as policy or domain expectations for their DKIM usage.

I say that because the integrity part of the design will always be a risk in damage. But with Policy, it is more about protecting the domain itself from unauthorize usage.

In any case, there is "No Tendency." it is the current SSP draft specification. If the integrity fails or signature fails, the design is such that it should then check SSP. Against my technical recommendations, it is the only time SSP is checked.

SSP should be designed so it can be checked any time. Especially for a mailings list subscription service where the DKIM ready list server can validate a subscribing domain for usage on its list server as a 3rd party or middle ware or outsourcing distribution point.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com