Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: Responsibility vs. Validity

2007-11-28 16:50:14

On Nov 28, 2007, at 1:58 PM, Jim Fenton wrote:

It seems that my language wasn't precise enough, so let me take another shot at it.

It has been noted that when a signing domain "claims responsibility for the introduction of a message into the mail stream" it is not actually asserting the validity of any part of the message. This is relevant to SSP because it has a dependency on whether the Signing Address (i= address or its default) matches the address in the From: header field.

I propose to solve that problem by adding language similar to the following to the SSP draft:

Domains publishing SSP records indicating practices other than "unknown" MUST ensure the validity [correctness] of the address in the From: header field for messages to which they apply an Originator Signature.

In other words, before applying an Originator Signature, make sure the message isn't spoofed.

Mailing-lists should still be able to sign their outbound messages!

I think you mean "Do not include the localpart within the i= parameter when the email-address within the From header has not been authenticated."

What about Sender and Resent-* headers?

Why not say: "Do not include the localpart within the i= parameter when the email-address has not been authenticated." It does not really matter which header is contains a matching domain for which the signature is being added.

This is not defined within the base draft where this added condition appears to be a significant change.

Are DKIM signing MTAs even able to make these authentication assurances?

Should the i= parameter be forced to exclude localparts when this email-address authentication assurance can not be made?

Secondly, how would you classify the possibility for spoofing when MUA keys employ partial g= restrictions?

-Doug