[ietf-dkim] Re: Third-Party Signature Authorizations and Email-Address Restrictions

2007-11-28 17:45:50

On Nov 28, 2007, at 3:00 PM, Jim Fenton wrote:

Douglas Otis wrote:

The question is who taking responsibility and for what?

Does the signing domain indicated From email-address use is restricted? If so, this could then shift content responsibility onto the From email-address identity. If not, the signing domain is only responsible for permitting some unknown users access. Clearly, granting access says very little about content. Just granting access without email-address restrictions requires reputations to be based upon a collective behaviour of users to which they grant access.

SSP does, indeed, deal specifically with the From email address. I have no idea what this might have to do with responsibility for content.

All headers are found in message content. DKIM is unrelated to the envelope.

An identity associated with an email-address within message content should not be assumed authenticated when a signing domain matches an email-address domain found within the From, Sender, or Resent-* headers. After all, asserting an SSP "ALL" might be to mitigate spoofing complaints caused by messages submitted from other domains.

Signatures may only assure recipients where the particular message had been submitted, but not whether the identity of the email-address matching the domain of the signature has been authenticated. This is what was meant by not being responsible for content.

A DKIM signature may only attest to the domain's stewardship at excluding access to those who spam (spamming is a behaviour unrelated to content). Excluding access does not require the authentication of email-address identities. The account used for access and the email- addresses submitted are often independent items. There are ways these two items can be joined, but normally they are not. See Frank's note.

Let me state it differently then: If you're publishing an SSP record other than "unknown", make sure you're not applying an Originator Signature to spoofed mail.

Your use of "Originator Signature" seems to imply a signature that contains a matching i= parameter and a domain or parent domain d= parameter of the email-address found within the From header.

Per SSP draft:
,---
| The "Originator Address" is the email address in the From header
| field of a message [RFC2822], or if and only if the From header field
| contains multiple addresses, the first address in the From header
| field.
'---

A mailing-list can easily conform to an SSP "ALL" policy and yet sign messages containing From headers where the owners of email-addresses have not been authenticated. Adding scope that specifically asserts authentication could be useful. I assume you mean the i= parameter should not include the localpart. There is a corner case for a semantic that asserts when i=localpart, this means the associated identity has been authenticated. The problematic case would be with g= wildcard restricted keys. For these keys, i= localpart inclusion becomes _necessary_, even when the identity associated with the localpart is not authenticated.

In other words, use of From email-addresses has been restricted to authenticated owners. What happens when they wish to send a message where a user is not authenticated, but where use of some critical email-addresses are restricted. There are currently no existing semantics to permit a mixed assertion, however actual use is likely to confront such a mixture. And this must include assertions about third-party domains (which includes sub-domains).

I'm not sure what "restricted" means, but I suppose I'll find out when I read your draft.

You typically make an indirect assertion regarding whether an Originator Address is "valid". I interpret this to be saying that the provider restricts signing email-addresses where the localpart is contained within the i= parameter to specific authenticated identities. (Perhaps these identities would be defined as those who have exclusive access to a mailbox associated with the email- address.) The TPA-SSP draft defines the "-i" suffix added to the "scope=" parameter to assert identities for the scoped headers are authenticated. The TPA-SSP draft assumed rules regarding which header was signed will apply when the signing and email-address domains match. There are two different scopes for message content, the (F)rom, and (O)ther being the Sender, or Resent-* headers. Only when the From header is signed by a third-party domain would the TPA-SSP scope indicating authentication of identities become critical for domain parity.

-Doug