RFC2821 Implementation Survey

2007-12-01 09:32:39
Greetings.

The IETF will shortly be considering elevating the revised SMTP specification RFC 2821, to the second-level standards status of DRAFT.

A requirement for this is to produce information about implementations of the protocol specification. It is therefore essential that we assemble a credible collection of information about actual development and interoperability testing -- and deployment is a form of testing -- for RFC 2821.

Because SMTP is a rich and widely-deployed protocol, the goal of this query is to ask for enough information to be useful, but not to place undue burden on responders by asking them to do a massive checklist.

It is assumed that most implementations of RFC 2821 have implemented all of its required (MUST) features and probably a fair number of its optional (SHOULD or MAY) features.

This survey does NOT cover any specifications outside of the RFC2821 document itself. No enhancements, options, or the like.

Please take some time to complete the following questionnaire and send me a private note with your responses. I will assemble them into a public report:

Please respond by 10 December 2007.

RFC 2821 Implementation Questionnaire
=====================================

   0. Contact and Description

      Organization Name:

      Implementation (Software or Service) Name:

   1. Have you implemented RFC2821?

   2. For how long it has been deployed?

   3. What features have NOT been implemented from RFC2821?

   4. What features of RFC2821 are problematic for your implementation?

   5. Please add any other comments you wish to share:

Thank you!

d/
--

  Dave Crocker