Re: [ietf-dkim] Mailing lists as 2822-Sender

2007-12-01 09:06:09

John Levine wrote:
RFC 2822 section 3.6.2 describes originator fields.  By my reading it
is pretty clear that a list should add a Sender: field with the list's
name since it's the list that's sending the mail.

+1.

A mailing list agent often and reasonably changes a message in substantial ways. Even if a particular agent does not make changes (other than re-posting) it is, in fact, re-posting. That makes the mailing list agent the address that is appropriate for the rfc2822.Sender field.

Section 3.6.6 describes resent headers.  One could make a plausible
argument that a list should add a Resent-Sender: rather than a Sender:
but it's reasonable to do it either way.

My own feeling is that resent headers were a good idea that have proved far more problematic that beneficial. One could make a very plausible argument for deprecating them...

ps. Having this list discuss Sender-ID seems a bit odd. Worse is the idea that Sender ID or DKIM or any adjunct protocol enhancement could be viewed as modifying anything as basic as the content of rfc2822 Originator fields...
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking