[ietf-dkim] Putting away the SSP Crystal Ball

2007-12-07 03:34:51
In the thread below the common issue is "what will happen in the
future?" Dave thinks things will happen in 5-10 years or "pretty much
forever" while Arvel disagrees. While my opinion matches Arvel's more
than Dave's it is certainly true that no one knows for certain. And we
can all agree that it is unlikely I have a new silver bullet argument or
body of evidence that will convince Dave that his timeframes are off by
an order of magnitude.

As Yogi Berra said, "Prediction is very hard, especially about the
future"

I recommend we all agree that we don't know when these things will
happen. It certainly won't be in less than 12 months and it had better
be before "pretty much forever". I think we can still agree on the best
design even if it takes somewhere in this range to realize. We can
certainly agree that the clock won't start ticking until we have a spec.

pat

At very best, it will be quite a few years (5-10 years
seems typical,
for popular enhancements to email) before a large number of
receiving
servers make the query, and there will remain a substantial
percentage
of receivers failing to query essentially forever.

Best to get the 5-10 year timer started now then!  This sounds like a
good argument for getting SSP out yesterday.  Regardless, it
may not be
an accurate assessment of time frames in this case as recent industry
activity suggests.

So the strict requirements of the strict mode have to be
considered in
the face of massive non-adoption, pretty much forever.

Folks, "massive non-adoption, pretty much forever" is one
individual's
assessment.  That does not necessarily mean it is accurate.
But, assume
for a moment that it is accurate.  Do we deny useful
capability to all
simply because some (or even most) decide they don't need it
or want it?
  No, of course not.  So, no matter how you look at this
argument, it is
easily rejected.