[ietf-dkim] A/R Trust Services

2007-12-08 18:28:52
The recent new bombardment of A/R considerations is undermining SSP efforts. I hope this note serves as food for thought for anyone that is really focus on a A/R.

I think SSP is not about Reputation and Accreditation (A/R).

But this is not a note on what SSP is but rather how A/R proponents SHOULD support SSP, not necessarily within its product offerings, but rather in helping to lowering the adoption barriers and get more people into the market to use DKIM.

Like many other product vendors here, A/R concepts is already part of the package. It is just a layer among other things.

We are eager to add DKIM but not without public domain, IETF standard policy protocol augmenting DKIM to help address the DKIM base protocol consistency issues which A/R systems does not address and doesn't have too.

It is to benefit of any A/R vendor or would be vendor that has already has DKIM or is planning to use DKIM, to endorse SSP as a fall back and default solution to address some really basic DKIM protocol usage exploits that are completely external to any ideas regarding reputation.

So I am throwing these recommendations from a technical sales standpoint:

 1) A/R systems should endorse public domain IETF standards
    DKIM/SSP efforts, not hinder it.

 2) A/R systems should leverage the benefits of DKIM/SSP, and
    even offer an alternative discovery process.

 3) A/R systems should come together with some common protocol
    to offer a different discovery process for A/R information.
    This part is highly critical if DKIM is to become a wide
    used general mechanism in the network.

The last thing we want, because we been through this before and do not want to go this again, is to add DKIM support with a "Batteries Required" concept which means that we MUST document that DKIM will not work unless the customer subscribes to a external non-IETF related protocol A/R service bureau.

DKIM must be able to offer some basic functional benefit and DKIM-BASE does with 1st party valid signatures.

But DKIM-BASE is highly exploitable without some basic protocol consistency wrapper that I believe SSP does offers.

That is why I am so confident about it. I truly believe it will help. But this does not suggest nor eliminate the idea for any additional white/black "Trust" concept either local or 3rd party.

I just think it would be unfortunate if we lock in DKIM-base with 3rd party A/R concepts. I think it will be a recipe for low general acceptance.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com