[ietf-dkim] SHA256 not supported on Windows XP/2000/NT

2008-01-04 05:02:45
This is a just a FYI.

We were working on our DKIM implementation, and unfortunately, after it was all said and done, it appears the Microsoft Cryptography API does not support SHA256 across all platforms (Not supported on XP/2000/NT).

  http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa375549(VS.85).aspx

Very unfortunate. We made an issue over the compatibility issues with DNS services (RR vs TXT) and I know I see the same issue for Windows applications being limited on what it can verify depending on what OS it is running on.

This means the DKIM signers will be faced with a significant number of verifiers (either MTA or MUAs) will be capable of using SHA256.

Personally, I have less of an issue with DKIM signing services having to run on Windows 2003/2008/VISTA implementations but the Windows client implementations will suffer.

Overall, this basically means product vendors will be less incline to use the MS cryptographic API for new digital signing technology and have to use other 3rd party (like OPENSSL) Cryptography APIs. For organizations who have issues with using OPEN SOURCE, that may be be a problem.

Microsoft SHOULD seriously consider, at the very least, provide CALG_SHA_256 hashing support for the default CSP (Microsoft Base Cryptographic Provider) on the widely adopted Windows XP operating system.

The larger DKIM implementations with some pull and Microsoft contacts, should consider contacting the key MS people requesting MS support SHA256 on all their current Windows OSes. This will help DKIM across the board, especially on Windows.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com