Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: Optional sender

2008-02-05 05:03:32
RFC 822 and RFC 2822 say:

   If the originator of the message can be indicated by a single
   mailbox and the author and transmitter are identical, the
   "Sender:" field SHOULD NOT be used.  Otherwise, both fields SHOULD
   appear.

And the above is a two decade plus practice, you nor Pete is not
going to change this.

Not only did my statement *not* change the above, I have no desire to
change it. I wrote those words almost 7 years ago (as per the
consensus of the DRUMS working group), and I still believe they
reflect the consensus of the community.

Hmmm, Pete, the exact statement above has not changed since 1982 (RFC 822). Seems like DRUMS just confirmed what already preexisted in RFC 822 and in common practice by 2001 for nearly 20 years and passed on to RFC 2822.

IMO, there is simply no practical reason for changing this to a MUST which I believe Frank is proposing (put it up for a vote).

Unless you are saying a SHOULD is really a MUST because no one will have a good reason to not honor a SHOULD, and therefore they would be considered "bad" implementations because they are miss reading the specifications by not following a SHOULD even if their reasons are not acceptable by their peers, then I think I will stick with the technical layman excuse that a SHOULD still falls within the whelms of a "optional" concept albeit less optional than a MAY, and I wouldn't be surprise when software exist that do not support SHOULD recommendations for whatever reason that may be.

Thanks for your comments.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO