SSP-02 Process Concerns (was Re: [ietf-dkim] ISSUE: SSP-02: Discardable inappropriately specifies possible verifier action)

2008-02-12 12:20:47
Hector Santos wrote:

Clearly, this is what happens when you have 2+ years of work commandeered in less than 2 weeks (admittedly a thing of beauty in the art of Mastering Chaos) with essentially a Find/Replace string stripped down document (IMO borderline unethical) where you end up with conflictive semantics all over the place.

Clearly, the attempt was to remove all MTA verifiers logic for filtering DKIM mail with the only explicit semantics provided for a MUA entity.

But you also need to ask, why even have an SSP or ASP "skeleton" document? We already have the model of ideas in RFC 4871 and RFC 5016.

At this point, I would vote for a total SSP/ASP abandonment rather than risk the email world to such questionable late minute changes without thinking much about the consequences.

With respect to the process by which we got to ssp-02:

Eric and I (with most of the hard work done by Eric, of course) worked on a stripped-down version of SSP in late December and early January that we thought was closer to what working group consensus was at the time. We shared this early draft with the Chairs. I was still concerned about making such a sweeping change without specific direction from the WG, so on January 25, I sent out a message "A proposal for restructuring SSP" in order to socialize the idea.

One of the responses I received was from John Levine, who was editing the ASP draft with a number of other people operating outside the working group. We exchanged drafts and found that there were a lot of similarities, and (with John's permission) incorporated some of the language from that early ASP draft into SSP. As I remember, Appendix A is almost entirely from the ASP draft.

I do think that we took the appropriate steps before introducing what is more than an incremental change from the previous draft.

-Jim