Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-ietf-dkim-ssp-02.txt Discardable/Exclusive

2008-02-24 02:02:08
At 16:43 20-02-2008, Thom O'Connor wrote:
However, it is very important that the terminology in use here is
accurate and appropriate. The global messaging user-base wants and
expects guidance on implementation that should be clear and direct. The
truth of the matter is, the discarding of email should be expressly
discouraged. No message should ever be discarded - RFC 2821 suggests
this though does not explicitly disallow or discourage it:

Discarding of email should be discouraged except if "there is very
high confidence that the messages are seriously fraudulent or
otherwise inappropriate".

Proponents of anti-spam are in favor of this feature as it works for
them; i.e. they can determine that the message is unwanted.  We have
the usual set of users who will implement this feature without
understanding the implications.

If we (where "we" is the email industry here that seeks to maintain and
even expand the usefulness of email itself, rather than seeing our users
resort to making a phone call or using IM when they need a "sure" method
of communication) should be clear about this then, one appropriate value

Agreed.

If the group wants to keep discardable, I suggest a change in Section 3.3:

      "discardable  All mail from the domain is signed with an Author
          Signature.  Furthermore, if a message arrives without a valid
          Author Signature due to modification in transit, submission via
          a path without access to a signing key, or other reason, the
          domain encourages the recipient(s) to discard it instead of
          sending a "bounce".

Regards,
-sm