Re: [ietf-dkim] Proposal to amend SSP draft with a reporting address (fwd)

2008-02-28 13:19:19
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Florian Sager wrote:
I just reviewed [ietf-dkim] "Proposal to amend SSP draft with a
reporting address" --> the responses dealt with using ARF or an own
abuse report format but they didn't refer to the reporting address. What
was the result of this discussion? There is no r= property in the ASP
draft (yet).

See https://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/draft-kucherawy-dkim-reporting/.
It's a draft proposal right now.

For this spam mail I'd like to send an abuse report to Yahoo! but
"Fully-Supported-Home-Employment-owner(_at_)yahoogroups(_dot_)com" is not the
identity
responsible for the signature (and therefore an appropriate reporting
address) but it is very likely the spammer itself (considering the content of
the mail). As long as ASP will set (simply said) i= to a From address there
is once more need for a distinct reporting address of the identity
responsible for the signature (e.g. as a signature property r=, I'd prefer
this as a part of the DKIM-Signature).

"i=" is the signing identity.  It's not guaranteed to be a good place to
which to report abuse if the sender is malicious.  Yahoo would need to
either explicitly set "i=" to be the abuse address (which they could do)
or implement the reporting specification (which is still a draft, so it's
not likely).

Second aspect: besides abuse-reporting I'd like to setup a BL containing
tuples like <alleged sender, signing-domain>. I am hesitating to use From or
Sender as <alleged sender>; in my view there would be more value if the
identity that signs a message adds an own f=<this is what I claim to be the
alleged sender> to the signature: this could be a hash(SMTP AUTH property) or
a uid or MAIL FROM or Authenticated-Sender (the only thing that matters here
is an internal, unique user-level id ... I am aware of the arbitrary forging
of this property, but ISPs should profit by this).

Why can't you use "i=" for that?