Re: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: overview doc could benefit from minor editing

2008-03-19 02:30:12
Dave Crocker wrote:

Does anyone see a change they don't like?

[old]
| a transit intermediary or a recipient can re-post the message
| in such a way that the signature would remain verifiable,
| although the new recipient(s) would not have been
| specified by the author.
[new]
? a transit intermediary or a recipient can re-post the message
? [again] in such a way that the signature would remain verifiable,
? although the new recipient(s) [may be different from those which
? were originally] specified by the author.

The old version is IMO clearer.

[old]
| Historically, email delivery assessment decisions have been based
| on an identity that used the IP Address of the system
| that directly sent the message (that is, the previous email "hop"),
[new]
? Historically, email delivery assessment decisions have been based
? on an identity [derived from] the IP Address of the system
? that directly sent the message (that is, the previous email "hop"),

Both versions miss various important points, see issue #1556.

[old]
| A DKIM signature covers the message body and selected header fields
[new]
? A DKIM signature [applies to] the message body and selected header
? fields

From my DEnglish POV "covers" is fine, no problem to change it.

[old]
[new]
? This is (or can be) entirely separate from the From: domain.

Statement aded at the end of 4.3, no problem.

[old]
| It's relevance to them is to provide a validated domain name, upon
| which assessments can be made.

s/It's/Its/  No problem with the [new] text, it also has "It's".

[old]
| Note that a failed signature causes the message
| to be treated in the same manner as one that is unsigned.
[new]
? Note that a failed signature [will in most cases cause] the message
? to be treated in the same manner as one that is unsigned.

Is that a conflict of "education" vs. "truth" ?  The [new] text
is certainly compatible with ID.kucherawy-sender-auth-header

 Frank