Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-levine-dkim-adsp-00

2008-05-24 08:12:41

On May 24, 2008, at 7:58 AM, Arvel Hathcock wrote:

The major changes since -02 are:

* don't try to define our own existence check, but do make ADSP
apply only
 to domains that exist

Your draft still contains a step 2 which defines an existence check.
I think this is perfectly acceptable but am wondering whether you
intended to include it?

--SNIP--
  2.  The host MUST query DNS for an MX record corresponding to the
      domain (with no prefix).  This query is made only to check the
      existence of the domain name and MAY be done in parallel with
the
      query made in step 1.  If the result of this query is an
NXDOMAIN
      error, the domain does not exist and the algorithm terminates.
--END SNIP--

Perhaps there isn't a conflict here anymore?  Your step 2 is perfectly
acceptable to me.

However, your section 4.4 is less clear than the original draft
because
you're using simply "domain" in several places rather than "Author
Domain" which therefore could introduce the question "which domain are
they talking about".

There has also been a change to use Author instead of Author Domain,
which is simply wrong.  In addition, this still includes the
transactions made against parent domains.

-Doug

Arvel