Re: [ietf-dkim] [Interop] Adding a 'consultants' page to dkim.org

2008-10-07 00:45:40

SM wrote:
There is a line between operations and user help.  Questions about
specific software/hardware should be taken on the mailing lists set
up for that purpose.  This list could be used for high level
questions about deployment and operations.  If there is too much
"noise" because of user level questions, people may stop paying
attention to the list and it won't fulfill its purpose anymore.

While what you say makes sense, in terms of general distinctions, I do not
understand how it applies for DKIM.  "Users" for DKIM are operations folk, not
consumer-styled end users.

So:  Who, exactly, are the people who would be on the "operations" list and
what
would they talk about, versus who would be the people on the users list and
what
would they talk about?  How are the people on these two lists different?

It increasingly seems to be that we need one (or two) lists for developers and
one for operations (classic OA&M).  I don't have any preference about this;
it's
merely all that I am seeing.

The choice for developers seems to be between programmers trying to decipher
specifications, versus testers running interoperability or conformance
scenarios.

Comments?

Thanks!

d/