Re: [ietf-dkim] Consensus point on ADSP

2009-04-01 15:33:12

My problem is that the semantics of the signature that the mailing
list applies shouldn't depend on whether the original author
happens to be in the same domain as the list.

Of course.  That's why list mail should use a different signing
domain.  It's clearly a poor idea to sign mail from lists that have
contributors in multiple unknown domains with a d= that has an ADSP
assertion

There still does not seem to be a problem.  A DKIM signature allows
source differentiation.

I'm enjoying this whole discussion, and I think it's productive.
Can we draw in the WG participants who haven't yet commented on this?
I'd like to hear your opinions too, and get your ideas on how you'd
like to see this question resolved.

[> ]
While I don't discount that some folks find value in the contents of the i=
tag, my opinion is that the mere fact that the issue continues to generate so
much controversy is a good reason to avoid having ADSP depend on it. Pretty
much everyone has a clear idea of what the d= value is and what it means; there
are clearly differing interpretations of what the i= value means, and it's also
pretty clear that its syntactic similarity to an email address has a tendency
to engender mis-interpretations.

Ellen