Re: [ietf-dkim] chained signatures, was l= summary

2009-06-04 17:33:20
The issue of A-R headers being trusted only when signed by DKIM runs
counter to their intended use.

That's not necessarily true.

You're making hard assertions about a fuzzy situation.  DKIM signing might work
just fine in certain installations.  That's why RFC5451 suggests doing this
without requiring it.

Whatever leak that allows a bad actor's A-R header to appear
could also find itself inadvertently signed by the incoming domain.

I agree that this is a security consideration, but it doesn't mean signing A-R
headers is a waste of effort.  At some sites it's probably the ideal solution.

Just check originating DKIM signatures, and ignore A-R headers would
be the safest solution.  Use of A-R headers allow providers a means to
visibly modify messages without the recipient being aware that the
visible content had been added by the provider.  In general, this
seems like a bad idea with respect to DKIM.

I disagree with "in general".  There seems to have been enough consensus to put
A-R up to proposed standard status, and that seems to fly in the face of your
claim that it's not useful.