Re: [ietf-dkim] brand protection, was Is anyone using ADSP?

2009-10-16 13:37:41
To put it concretely, your registrar is JANET, ...

Mine's JANET, too. Sure, they won't all be accurate, but if they're
inaccurate then I know how to get hold of someone to fix the problem. Anyway,
the person who cares most about the accuracy is the domain owner (or their
customers).

I have to disagree.  The person who cares most about the accuracy of ADSP
is the recipient who has to decide whether to believe it.

If you say that Janet gets involved in fixing individual DNS records, I
find that hard to believe, but you know them better than I do.  For
commercial registrars such Godaddy and Tucows, whose service I resell to a
few friends, I can assure you they know nothing, and I mean nothing, about
their registrants beyond their credit card number what's in the WHOIS.  If
someone complained to Tucows about one of their registrants, the most they
could do is point to the reseller, who in most cases can't do much more
than point to the WHOIS info.  In particular, they have no control over
the registrant's DNS servers and couldn't fix them if they wanted to,
which in most cases they wouldn't.

Really, reputation is about individual registrants and domains, and as we
all know, you don't need ADSP for people you already know something about.

As an admin, I'd like to be able to reject mail for lacking a DKIM signature.

With or without ADSP, you're going to have a very, very, very, very long
wait.

R's,
John