Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM on envelope level

2009-10-31 20:02:03

ned+dkim(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:
CHUNKING can in theory be used to send the headers and body separately. But
it doesn't have to be - the chunk boundaries are aribtary and there's no way
for a server to say "send me the headers and body in separate chunks please".

If the server announces chunking support, there would be no penalty if smtp
clients simply chose to send in this tailored fashion.  So it could be a
convention rather than a per-session request.

All of which presumes a meaningful constituency in the email receiver world
that
says it wants this.

Of course it would be possible to devise an extension to do this - it would
actually be a pretty simple thing to define - but I'm quite skeptical as to
it's potential for deployment. Remember, for this to work the clients have to
change, but the benefits accrus to the server.

If senders would like to share in the benefit of consuming less bandwidth, and
possibly having more immediate feedback on their traffic, they might count as
having a positive incentive.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker