Re: [ietf-dkim] Forwarding, was Proposed new charter

2010-02-23 04:26:58
It seems a .forward or other techniques could break the signature. This could
be alleviated by recommending which headers should be signed or not. We had a
talk with Barry, John, Dave and others about dkim and forwarding recently.
However it seems we lack examples/evidence of broken dkim due to forwarding. We
know mailing lists breaks dkim in many conditions, we suspect forwarding may do
it too. Let's think about it while we fix mailing list and dkim.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alessandro Vesely" <vesely(_at_)tana(_dot_)it>
To: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Sent: Tuesday, 23 February, 2010 12:55:55 AM
Subject: [ietf-dkim] Forwarding, was Proposed new charter

On 22/Feb/10 23:29, Franck Martin wrote:
it seems point 5 should be extended to "forwarding including mailing lists"

What do you mean exactly? Section 3.9.2. of RFC 5321 identifies
"Lists" as a forwarding technique, contrasted to alias expansion. That
technique just implies changing the envelope sender, which is fairly
generic. Point 5 is apparently about full blown mailing lists, which
also have, e.g., RFC 2369's List-* fields.

IMHO, "forwarding" also includes any instance of mass mailing where
the list or recipients is expanded on a server. Technically, it is not
a very precise term... --that's why I'm asking.