[ietf-dkim] More formal definition of 3rd-party signatures?

2010-03-17 12:41:20
I found this from RFC 5016:

   o  First Party Address: for DKIM, a first party address is defined to
      be the [RFC2822].From address in the message header; a first party
      address is also known as an Author address.

   o  First Party Signature: a first party signature is a valid
      signature where the signing identity (the d= tag or the more
      specific identity i= tag) matches the first party address.
      "Matches" in this context is defined in [RFC4871].

   o  Third Party Signature: a third party signature is a valid
      signature that does not qualify as a first party signature.  Note
      that a DKIM third party signature is not required to correspond to
      a header field address such as the contents of Sender or List-Id,
      etc.

I thought the ADSP draft had such a definition, but it doesn't seem
to. This draft talks about i=, which if I recall correctly, can be
include sub-domains of d=. Since i= is no longer seen as an identity,
then I believe we need a more formal definition of a third-party
signature.

If "or the more specific identity i= tag" was removed from the above
definition, would everyone agree that is the proper definition of a
third-party signature? That would mean:

From: foo(_at_)example(_dot_)com

would be considered a third-party signature.

--
Jeff Macdonald
Ayer, MA