Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM errata 1532 (v= and DomainKeys)

2010-03-17 07:26:34
Mark Martinec wrote:

I don't think just dropping the errata works for me.

The draft-ietf-dkim-deployment-11 says:

   If a DKIM verifier finds a selector record that has an empty "g"
   field ("g=;") and it does not have a "v" field ("v=DKIM1;") at its
   beginning, it is faced with deciding if this record was

   1.  from a DK signer that transitioned to supporting DKIM but forgot
       to remove the "g" field (so that it could be used by both DK and
       DKIM verifiers), or

   2.  from a DKIM signer that truly meant to use the empty "g" field
       but forgot to put in the "v" field.  It is advised that you
       treat
       such records using the first interpretation, and treat such
       records as if the signer did not have a "g" field in the record.

For this to work, it requires one to provide an explicit "v=DKIM1"
when a empty "g=" is intentional.  On the other hand, the RFC 4871
clearly marks the v tag as entirely optional (yet recommended).

While I agree that a recommendation on how a verifier should handle
empty g tag does not belong into RFC 4871 (but only in dkim-
deployment), I think that a 4871 section 3.6.1 on tag g (or v)
should require that a 'v' is mandated if an empty granularity 'g='
is (intentionally) used.

Without this requirement, the dkim-deployment guesswork has no firm
grounds to work on.

I see your point... however, the current errata text does *not*
mandate (or recommend) including 'v=' with an empty 'g='.

Perhaps something like this?

   The format of the DNS key record was intentionally meant to be
   backward compatible between DKIM and DomainKeys. However, DKIM and
   DomainKeys treat an empty "g=" tag ("g=;") differently. To ease
   transition from DomainKeys to DKIM, some DKIM verifiers may attempt
   to use the DomainKeys interpretation if the "v=" tag is not present.
   To ensure correct processing by the verifier, it is strongly
   RECOMMENDED to include the "v=" tag when using an empty "g=" tag.
   See draft-ietf-dkim-deployment, Appendix A.1 for more information.

Best regards,
Pasi