Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM errata 1532 (v= and DomainKeys)

2010-03-18 14:35:26
Jim Fenton wrote:

I guess I should be paying more attention to the dkim-deployment
drafts.

RFC 4871 is very explicit about the meaning of the g= value.  Last
paragraph of section 3.2:

   Tags that have an empty value are not the same as omitted tags.  An
   omitted tag is treated as having the default value; a tag with an
   empty value explicitly designates the empty string as the value.
   For
   example, "g=" does not mean "g=*", even though "g=*" is the default
   for that tag.

The semantics of g= has no dependency on the presence or absence of
the v= tag/value.  One of the ways of revoking a DKIM key is to
apply a null g= tag (g=;) which makes it unusable.  Coming up with a
way of guessing whether the signing domain really meant "g=;" is not
a good idea and contradicts the specification.

Hmm -- back in IETF73 we seemed to agree (at least according to the
email below) that guessing is, while probably not a good idea,
possibly less bad than the alternative:

http://mipassoc.org/pipermail/ietf-dkim/2008q4/010820.html

Best regards,
Pasi